This post contains affiliate links.
Back in the day when I could have dairy, I loved cheesy soups–the cheesier the better. Recently I’ve found a way to bring cheesy soups into my life, though they are much healthier than the soups I used to eat years ago! I found a recipe I wanted to try, but I had to significantly alter it to create this gluten free dairy free Cheeseburger Soup, which my whole family loves. Hopefully you will, too!
Gluten Free Dairy Free Substitutions
As dairy substitutes in this recipe, I used plain, unsweetened almond milk and Daiya cheddar cheese style shreds. I imagine you could use coconut milk to make it even creamier and richer, but I didn’t do that because my family is not a big fan of coconut milk in soups.
I also used homemade chicken stock, which I’d highly recommend.
WW (Weight Watchers) Purple Plan Friendly Recipe
WW recently revamped their plan to three different plans, Green, Blue, and Purple. I’m loving the Purple plan because so many healthy ingredients are zero points. This soup, when prepared as described below, is only 5 points per serving on the Purple Plan!
A Budget-Friendly Meal
Besides being delicious comfort food that is Purple Plan friendly, gluten free dairy free Cheeseburger Soup is easy on the budget! I estimate this recipe cost us approximately $7. (I usually try to buy the more expensive ingredients in this recipe on clearance or a steep sale price, which helps enormously!)
Gluten Free Dairy Free Cheeseburger Soup
- 8 oz. ground beef
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 3 TBSP gluten free flour blend
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups almond milk, unsweetened, plain
- 3 russet potatoes
- 1 cup Daiya Cheese style shreds
- dash salt
- dash pepper
- Put ground beef in a soup pot and brown. Drain the fat, and set aside beef.
- Dice the garlic, onions, carrots, and celery. Add to the pot you used to cook the beef. Saute 8 to 10 minutes until soft. Dice the potatoes and set aside.
- Whisk in the gluten free flour, and cook for one minute. Slowly add the broth and milk and continue whisking until smooth. Sauce should be slightly thick.
- Add the potatoes, bring to bubbling, turn down the heat, cover, and cook until potatoes are soft, about 20 to 30 minutes. Stir frequently.
- When potatoes are soft, add beef, Daiya cheese style shreds, and salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese style shreds are melted and the soup is creamy. Serve.