Growing up, I loved banana bread and banana cake with a thick layer of cream cheese frosting. Obviously, being gluten free and dairy free, I can’t eat that anymore! However, I have recently been experimenting with a cleaner homemade banana bread that also meets my family’s dietary restrictions. The recipe I’m sharing here today is the one we’ve settled on. In fact, it’s so popular around here, they ask for it every week! I hope you’ll try it and enjoy our gluten free dairy free banana bread.
About the Sugar Content
This recipe calls for coconut sugar, which is the only kind of sugar that we use. I know dieticians say sugar is sugar in your body no matter what form it comes in, but coconut sugar does have a lower glycemic index, so it doesn’t spike blood sugar as much as cane sugar.
I’d love to have less coconut sugar in this recipe, but every time I experiment with lowering the sugar, it doesn’t taste as good. The half cup of sugar this recipe calls for is about as low as I can go.
Can You Freeze Gluten Free Dairy Free Banana Bread
Honestly, we go through this so quickly that we don’t have a need to freeze it, but yes, this banana bread freezes well. Simply cut in pieces and wrap in plastic wrap and then tin foil. This will retain it’s flavor and texture for about three months in the freezer.
WW Green Plan Points
If you’re following WW Green Plan, as I am, this banana bread makes 12 slices. Each slice is 6 points.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Banana Bread Recipe
Gluten Free Dairy Free Banana Bread
- 3 bananas ripe and large (if bananas are small, use four)
- 1/3 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the bananas, and place in a large bowl
- Mash the bananas, and then add all of the wet ingredients.
- Mix with a mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Pour the gluten free flour on top.
- Sprinkle the baking soda on top of the flour.
- Mix with the mixer again until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Spray a baking pan and put the batter in the pan. (I use two small pans that are about 5" x 8" for my bread.)
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the bread.
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
Try More Recipes
Gluten Free Dairy Free Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Gluten Free Dairy Free Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe
Leave a Reply