I found this recipe while looking for a recipe that used arugula and tomatoes, but it would be equally good with spinach. Next time I will make it with spinach to lower the cost.
Garlicky Spaghetti with Beans and Greens
12 oz. spaghetti – $1.00
1.5 tsp. sea salt – $0.05
6 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil – $0.25
4 tbsp. garlic – $0.10
3 tomatoes, diced – $3.00
4 cups cannellini beans – $.80 (I used 2/3rds of a bag of dry beans)
5 oz. spinach $1.25 (I used a one pound box of organic at Costco for $3.99)
1. Cook pasta. Before draining, reserve one cup of pasta water. After draining, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt and keep warm.
2. Return pot to medium heat. Add old and garlic and heat until garlic is light brown, about 2 minutes.
3. Stir in remaining salt, tomatoes and beans and cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Add pasta and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add pasta water and spinach, and toss gently.
6. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
This makes a lot of food and should serve 8.
Total price – $6.45.
Cost per serving for 8 – $0.80 per serving