This post contains affiliate links. I’m constantly looking for new recipe inspiration. However, when I find a new dish to try, I rarely cook it exactly as is. Instead, I tinker with it and change it to fit our dietary restrictions of being dairy and gluten free. This week I stumbled upon a cornmeal pancakes with cinnamon apples recipe that I knew my family would love. And, with several changes, it’s now a recipe we’ll add regularly to our meal rotation.
While this meal tastes delicious, it’s also made from basic ingredients that I regularly stock in my gluten free, dairy free pantry. That means, especially in this time of inflation and high grocery prices, this is a frugal meal for my family. While this is a low-cost recipe, it shines in taste and presentation.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Cornmeal Pancakes with Cinnamon Apples
- 3 apples, small
- 2 TBSP coconut sugar
- 2 TBSP non-dairy butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 TBSP Bob's Red Mill One-to-One Gluten Free Flour
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 egg
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill One-to-One Gluten Free Flour
- 1 TBSP coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Remove the seeds and the core from the apple, and then chop in small chunks.
- In a pan on medium heat, add butter, coconut sugar, and cinnamon. When that is combined, stir in the apple chunks and coat well.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and allow the cinnamon apples to cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- For the cornmeal pancakes, preheat a griddle or skillet lightly coated with oil
- Whisk all wet ingredients for the pancakes in one bowl.
- Whisk all dry ingredients for the pancakes in another, larger bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Scoop 1/4 to 1/2 cup batter onto the griddle and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until bubble appear on the top of the pancakes. Flip and cook 1 to 2 more minutes.
- If the sauce for your cinnamon apples is runny, sprinkle 1/2 TBSP Bob's Red Mill One-to-One gluten free flour over the apples and stir to incorporate. Within minutes the sauce should thicken to a syrup consistency.
- Plate the pancakes and top with cinnamon apples. Enjoy!
We loved this recipe for breakfast, but this could also make a light dinner, or a heartier dinner if you add some bacon or a slice of ham. Breakfast for dinner is a big hit around here, especially with this yummy gluten free dairy free Cornmeal Pancakes with Cinnamon Apples recipe.
This recipe was adapted from one found on FarmboxRx.