In the second week after surgery, I felt like I had regained some freedom, but I was still dealing with discomfort in my foot and difficulty showering.

This post contains affiliate links.

The Walking Boot Delivers Freedom!

At the end of the first week (day 6) the doctor gave me a walking boot.  He told me I could walk without crutches, just using the walking boot, but that was uncomfortable, so I used crutches for the next three days.  Then I used one crutch for two days, and finally I started walking with just the walking boot.  I felt like I had regained my freedom because now I could use my arms again for carrying things instead of holding crutches.

The Challenge of Showering

The doctor also told me I could shower on day 6, but I ended up waiting until day 8 because I was nervous about it.  Taking a shower turned out to be an adventure.  I stood on one foot with my operated foot dangling because I didn’t want to put it down.  I was so afraid I would fall, and my shower was very quick!

Residual Discomfort

While I did a lot of research for this surgery beforehand, there was one thing no one prepared me for.  Whenever my foot was out of the walking cast, (like when I was taking a shower or at night when I got up and used crutches because I didn’t want to put the boot on), my foot felt heavy, like a brick, and it felt like it was on fire.  I asked the doctor about it, and he said that “thickness” and burning is completely normal and will subside with time.

I didn’t need much in the way of pain relievers.  After I went off the prescription pain meds on day 3, I didn’t use anything to ease the discomfort except Arnica, and I was done with that by day 10.

Trouble Sleeping

I also didn’t prepare for a constant state of sleepiness after surgery.  My last good night of sleep was the night before surgery.  The first two weeks, I only averaged about 4 to 6 hours of sleep a night because I couldn’t get comfortable.  I’m a side sleeper, and if I turned sideways, the incision hurt.  Since I had incisions on both sides of my foot, no matter which way I slept, it was uncomfortable.  I also still kept my foot propped up, so that was also awkward.  At the end of the second week, I finally started sleeping better because the incisions weren’t so tender.

If you’d like to catch up on my foot surgery journey, here are some related posts:

My Upcoming Surgery for Hallux Limitus and Tailor’s Bunion

Austin Bunionectomy & Tailor’s Bunion Surgery Recovery: The First Week



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...