So, here’s a secret about me.  Sometimes I imagine the worst.  Before I board a plane, I worry about dying in a plane crash.  Yes, the risk is very tiny, but I worry about it.  (Never mind that I get in my car multiple times a day and the risk of dying in a car accident is much greater.  Logic doesn’t prevail in these kinds of circumstances.)

I had only a 2.5 week window from the time I knew I’d need foot surgery to the actual time I had it.  Luckily, that didn’t give me much time to panic, but I did worry about the actual surgery and yes, the small chance that I might die.  I was so worried about these things, that I didn’t think of the pain of recovery.  I don’t know if that’s a blessing or a curse, because the pain hit me by surprise.

Warning–graphic pictures at the end of the post.

The Austin Bunionectomy & Tailor’s Bunion Surgery

First, though, surgery itself was a breeze.  The staff was nice and the anesthesia worked right away.  I was wheeled into the operating room, I saw people getting things ready, and then I was out.  I didn’t wake up until I was in recovery.  After about 30 minutes in recovery, I was on my way home.

The First 72 Hours of Recovery

The first 6 hours after surgery were easy.  My foot was still numb, and I had no adverse reactions to the anesthesia.  Within an hour of getting home, I ate lunch.  But then, late in the afternoon, the swelling started, and with it, the pain.

I took pain medicine, and at first, that worked fine.  However, about 12 hours after surgery, the pain medicine, which I took every 4 hours, only worked for about an hour.  With each dose that I took, it would take about an hour to kick in, then I’d have an hour of moderate relief (but the pain never completely went away), and then the last two hours I was in serious pain waiting to take my next dose of pain medicine.

The 12 to 24 hours after surgery were the roughest.  My pain level was easily a 6 or 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest.  But when I hit the 36 hour mark, it was not so painful, and I felt the swelling go down.

By the third day, I only needed to take two pain pills, every 10 hours or so.  (That was a great improvement from the six pills a day I had taken the first 48 hours.)  I didn’t need any pain medication after the third day.

After surgery, I also took the homeopathic remedy Arnica every two hours or so to help reduce swelling.  I continued to take Arnica the first week.

My First Doctor’s Appointment

Six days after surgery, I was ready for the big reveal!  The nurse removed the bandages, and I was shocked by how narrow my foot was!  I am used to such a wide foot that it looked weird to me to have a “normal” foot.

The foot was, of course, badly bruised, but the incisions looked great.  I was given permission to begin showering again, and I was also given a walking boot to use.

Hopefully recovery will go quickly now!

My foot is still really swollen and bruised 6 days after surgery!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...